Friday, November 30, 2007

The true and faithful calling... questioned

Today at work we had a GI party where all the three levels were invited. The five levels and seven levels had a brake change. While out there in the blistery winter we somehow, though not surprisingly started a conversation about Hooters. I told them that I thought that there were some places that Christians just ought not to go, which has been preached to me many times. I told them that I thought bars, Hooters, strip clubs and the like were some of these places. A fellow worker whom I respect though not in theology, began quoting scripture to me (he has read the Bible three times through). He quoted a part of Matthew I believe though I can't seem to find the exact verse about how Jesus came for the sinners and not the righteous, and he was telling me how so many "Christians" are afraid of getting dirty and afraid to be seen with the least of these. He accused me of being just such a person because I said I would never go to Hooters. I thought about it for a little while and then explained to him that there is a huge difference in surrounding yourself with sin for the sake of some good buffalo wings or for surrounding yourself with sin so that you can see the lost come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. They asked me if a girl from Hooters was hungry if I would feed her, I said yes. They asked me if three girls from Hooters were hungry if I would feed them, I said yes. They complained about how dumb it was Christians didn't support Disney because they have a "Gay Day" I told them that if I never bought anything from a place that supports sin, I would never have a place to buy anything. I couldn't even make things myself. Everyone sins and I don't think it's any different if it's a private or public sin, sin is against God, and he sees both. I am constantly reminded that my work place is the perfect mission field. Although sometimes I do feel like I have to learn another language to be able to communicate, the Lord has showed me that though the relationships I have with people at work I can glorify Him. God has blessed the USA let us bless Him for a change.

4 comments:

Aimee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aimee said...

well aren't you all going to be soooo proud of me!!!! i do not think the quote your looking for is from Matthew....i think it is from Mark 2:14-17. :) let me know!!

love ya girl!

Laurie M said...

I clicked over from Christina's blog and read yours. My heart goes out to you in your "mission field" because I know that Dustin is facing something similar far from home that he has never experienced before. He still hasn't gone to church there yet, but I'm still praying...at least you have our awesome church for support!!! Just wanted you to know I'm so proud of you and Chris for what you do for our country and for the witness that you both are for the Lord. Plus you make cute, sweet babies!!!! See you in the morning!

Christina said...

Yes Aimee, You are exactally right the verse was Mark 2:17 that he must have quoted. It says.... It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.
You go girl. I am proud of you Aimee!!

Little E the magnificent

Little E the magnificent
Conquerer of all veggies, green and beyond